resume of Sunday Bloody Sunday

Go down

resume of Sunday Bloody Sunday

Post  Constance* on Wed May 21, 2008 9:53 pm

“Sunday Bloody Sunday” was realized in March 1983 in Germany and The Netherlands and was sung by U2. This song talks about the war which happened in Ireland. Indeed, its lyrics describe the feelings of an observer by report to the troubles in Northern Ireland. It mansions feelings of children during the war, losses and the separation of families, so it describes the pain that people feels during that difficult period. Now we will be talking with more precisions about this song.
Firstly we will analyze the lexical field used. The first one is the war: “battle”, “broken”, “cry”, ”bloody”, ”lost”, “torn apart”, “bloodshot”, “victory”, “trenches”, “won”. The second lexical field is the death: “bodies”, “bloody”, “dead”, “bloodshot”, and “immune”. And the last one is the sadness: “cry” and “tears”.
This text is a protest song thanks to two sentences which introduce it : <<I can’t believe the news today>>, <<I can’t close my eyes and make it go away>>. Moreover, he wonders several times “how long, must we sing this song”. So, all these lyrics denounce the war and the singer wants to stop this “nightmare”.
Into the song appear three important rhetorical figures:
• Metaphor: <<I can’t close my eyes and make it go away>>, because he can’t stop thinking about the war, he can’t go away from this thought.
• Anaphors: << How long, how long must we sing this song?
How long? >>, <<It puts my back up, puts my back up against the wall>>. The singer is using anaphors to insist in the fact that he really wants the war over soon.
• Hyperbole: <<And today the millions cry>>, <<We eat and drink while tomorrow they die>>, they exaggerate, and with that we understand what’s really happening, and maybe they hope that people is going to do something and protest against the wars with them.
I think is a beautiful song because it aborts a subject which is and will be always (unfortunately) a polemic. We have to mansion that’s a really sad song even if is based on the reality.

Constance*

View user profile

Back to top Go down